Carpet is an increasingly popular choice for flooring installation in new homes as well as those that are being remodeled or upgraded. Durable carpet provides an added measure of comfort, yet is easy to care for and maintain. With so many different styles available, it is vital that you are able to distinguish between the various types to ensure that you make the right choice for your specific location and needs.
Wool comes from the fleece of sheep or lambs and provides excellent cushioning. It not only feels luxurious on your feet, but also adds immense resale value to your home.
Who Should Purchase Wool Carpet? Wool is an ideal choice for those who want to create a luxurious yet comfortable environment in their home. Those looking for an upscale way to bring cozy warmth will not be disappointed. It may not be the best choice for families with indoor pets or young children prone to spilling food and beverages.
Carpet that is made of 100 percent nylon is commonly seen among both residential and commercial buildings. It is one of the most widely used carpet fibers on the market today.
Who Should Purchase Nylon Carpet? Nylon is great for those wanting to strike a balance between high-performance carpet and affordability. It comes in a wide variety of colors and textures to match your décor. Homes with large windows that would allow for fading, and families with indoor pets might choose another route.
Popular among allergy sufferers and those with children or indoor pets, solution dyed nylon carpet has incredible durability and stain-resistant properties.
• Easy to clean SDN fibers can tolerate even the strongest chemical cleaners, including bleach. • Superior performance Like 100 percent nylon, SDN carpet is perfect for high traffic locations. • Resilient This carpet resists crushing and retains original shape after being compressed. • Color-fast Due to its extensive color pigmentation process, SDN won’t fade. • Pet-friendly Unharmed by bleach, pet owners need not fear urine staining with SDN carpet. • Hypoallergenic It’s perfect for those with asthma and allergies. • Anti-static o SDN has built-in static protection.
• SDN is usually medium to highly priced depending upon the texture and density that you choose.
Who Should Purchase SDN Carpet? SDN carpet is a fantastic selection for homeowners looking for a durable carpet that is easy to clean. Families with indoor pets or young children will love how easy it is to maintain over the years.
Polypropylene carpet is a synthetic fiber that undergoes the same color pigmentation process as SDN carpet. This allows is to be both fade and stain-resistant.
• Stain-resistant Even liquid spills are easy to clean on this material. • Cost-effective Polypropylene is relatively inexpensive. • Color-safe The colors you select will be the colors you keep throughout the lifespan of the carpet. • Comfortable Polypropylene possesses a unique velvety feel.
• Less durable than nylon It will not stand up well in heavily used areas, such as hallways and living rooms. • Compresses easily • Lacks resilience • Can become discolored if it comes into contact with oil-based products
Who Should Purchase Polypropylene Carpet? Polypropylene is a wonderful option for low traffic areas, such as bedrooms. It is perfect for those who own rental properties or who are looking for an inexpensive upgrade prior to selling a home.
Polyester is another synthetic fiber that holds color well. It is easy to clean and will not absorb odors or stains. Many of the pros and cons are similar to those of polypropylene
• Stain-resistant Polyester will not discolor, even from substances including red wine and pet urine. • Inexpensive • Colorfast • Easy to clean and maintain
• Not as durable as other natural fibers • Compresses under heavy loads • Less resilient • Oil can bond to the fibers causing discoloration
Who Should Purchase Polyester Carpet? As with polypropylene, polyester carpet is a great choice for lower traffic areas, rental properties, or inexpensive upgrades. It is not recommended for hallways or living rooms.
Knowing the differences between types of carpet is essential to choosing the right style for your home.